Arabic For Dummies, 2nd edition with CD by Amine Bouchentouf
The fast and easy way to learn to speak Modern Standard Arabic.
Regarded as one of the most difficult languages to learn for native English speakers, Arabic is gaining global prominence and importance. Recent world events have brought more and more English speakers into contact with Arabic-speaking populations, and governments and businesses are increasingly aware of the importance of basic Arabic language skills.
Arabic For Dummies presents the language in the classic For Dummies style. Taking a straightforward and practical approach to this complex language, it's packed with practice dialogues and communication tips that will have you talking the talk in no time.
- The Arabic alphabet, pronunciation, basic grammar, and the rules of transliteration
- The history of the language and information on classical Arabic and its dialects—focusing on Modern Standard Arabic
- How to make small talk and make yourself understood when dining, shopping, or traveling around town
- How to communicate on the phone and in business conversations
- Handy words and phrases for dealing with money, directions, hotels, transportation, and emergencies
- Arabic culture and etiquette, including ten things you should never do in Arabic countries
- Recognizing Arabic symbols and characters
- The book also includes an Arabic-English dictionary, verb tables, and an audio CD with dialogues from the book to help you perfect your pronunciation
Written by a native Arabic speaker who helped start a year-round Arabic department at Middlebury College, Arabic For Dummies is just what you need to start making yourself understood in Arabic.
Arabic For Dummies, 2nd edition with CD - About the Author:
Amine Bouchentouf, a native Arabic speaker from Morocco, graduated from Middlebury College where he offered a seminar on the Arabic language. He has also taught Arabic at the ABC Language Exchange and the Council on Foreign Relations in New York. He runs the website www.al-aab.com.