Complete Latvian Beginner to Intermediate Course: Learn to read, write, speak and understand a new language with Teach Yourself by Tereza Svilane
352-page book (with 40 illustrations) and double CD.
Are you looking for a complete course in Latvian which takes you effortlessly from beginner to confident speaker? Whether you are starting from scratch, or are just out of practice, Complete Latvian will guarantee success!
Now fully updated to make your language learning experience fun and interactive. You can still rely on the benefits of a top language teacher and our years of teaching experience, but now with added learning features within the course and online. The course is structured in thematic units and the emphasis is placed on communication, so that you effortlessly progress from introducing yourself and dealing with everyday situations, to using the phone and talking about work.
By the end of this course, you will be at Level B2 of the Common European Framework for Languages: Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
Learn effortlessly with a new easy-to-read page design and interactive features:
NOT GOT MUCH TIME?
One, five and ten-minute introductions to key principles to get you started.
Lots of instant help with common problems and quick tips for success, based on the author's many years of experience.
Easy-to-follow building blocks to give you a clear understanding.
Easy to find and learn, to build a solid foundation for speaking.
Read and listen to everyday dialogues to help you speak and understand fast.
Don't sound like a tourist! Perfect your pronunciation before you go.
Tests in the book and online to keep track of your progress.
EXTEND YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Extra online articles at: www.teachyourself.com to give you a richer understanding of the culture and history of Latvia.
- LIVELY, AUTHENTIC LANGUAGE - the words and phrases used by Latvian speakers today
- GRAMMAR IS CLEARLY EXPLAINED - in simple English
- EXERCISES TO REINFORCE UNDERSTANDING - written, audio and pictorial exercises add variety and spice to your learning
- CULTURE SECTIONS - to give you the real flavour and excitement of a visit to Latvia
- BEGINNERS TO INTERMEDIATES - equally suitable for beginners and those needing to brush up their knowledge
- LEARN THE LANGUAGE YOU NEED - for holidays (guides you through the airport, how to ask for tourist information, buying souvenirs), for business trips (jobs, invitations)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction, general remarks about the language
- Greetings, identifying yourself, asking questions
- Getting to know you – introductions, personal information
- What is your name and address?
- Requesting information and clarification, spelling
- Permission, where are you from?, talking about proximity, addressing people (Mr and Mrs)
- How are you? - talking about family, age, marital status, descriptions of people
- Accepting/declining invitations, describing house and home
- At the restaurant, ordering and talking about food
- Shopping for food and for clothes
- Telling the time, using the telephone, making arrangements
- Unit 10. Travelling and transport, asking for directions, obtaining travel information, buying tickets, using the car (parking, road rules and signs)
- Unit 11. Health and welfare, a visit to the doctor, other services (hairdresser, bank, post office)
- Unit 12. Festivities (birthdays, name days, festivals), the weather and seasons of the year, emotional state
- Unit 13. Chatting away: conversation about work, educational background and free time
- Unit 14.Chatting away: TV and the media, talking about the news, a little geography and history
Complete Latvian Book/CD Pack: Teach Yourself - About the Author(s):
Tereza Svilane freelance language tutor, translator, interpreter and film sub-titler. Until recently taught Latvian at FCO Services: Language Training (formerly Diplomatic Service Language Centre), as well as Latvian Literature for the International Baccalaureate course at Southbank International School. Currently freelancing whilst completing Master's degree course (Translation and Terminology) at Ventspils University College, Latvia.