Finnish: An Essential Grammar, 3rd Edition
By Fred Karlsson
This thoroughly revised third edition of Finnish: An Essential Grammar is grounded in fundamental insights of modern linguistics and incorporates some of the latest achievements in the description of written and spoken Finnish.
It gives a systematic account of the structures of the written language and offers increased attention to the key characteristics of present-day colloquial Finnish. No prior knowledge is assumed on the part of the reader and grammatical rules are clearly explained without jargon.
Features of this new edition include:
- pronunciation guide, including the tendencies in present-day colloquial Finnish
- thorough descriptions of morphology (word structure) and syntax (sentence structure)
- clear rules and an abundance of concrete examples, from both written and colloquial Finnish
- updated vocabulary in the examples
- an effective new scheme for detecting the morphological structure of any word form
- subject index
This is the ideal reference source both for those studying Finnish independently and for students in schools, colleges, universities and adult classes of all types.
Finnish: An Essential Grammar, 3rd Edition - About the Author
Fred Karlsson is Professor Emeritus of General Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.