Russian For Dummies with CD by Andrew Kaufman Ph.D. (Author), Serafima Gettys Ph.D. (Author)
The fast and easy way to learn to speak Russian
With Russia in line to host the World Cup in 2018, the Winter Olympics in 2014, as well as a Formula 1 Grand Prix, interest in Russia is on the rise. Russian For Dummies is an excellent resource for students, tourists, and businesspeople looking for an introduction to this popular and complex language.
This updated edition offers new and improved content, more useful exercises and practice opportunities, all new content devoted to the Cyrillic alphabet, and much more.
- A revamped, user–friendly organization
- A fully updated and expanded audio CD with real–life conversations by native speakers
- Expanded coverage of grammar, verb conjugations, and pronunciations
- A refreshed and expanded mini–dictionary complete with even more essential vocabulary
Russian For Dummies provides basic instruction to those seeking to grasp the basics of conversational Russian. Students, travelers, and businesspeople with little or no language experience will gain a clearer understanding on how to communicate in Russian.
From the Back Cover
The fast and easy way to learn to speak Russian If you′re looking to reach a comfort level in conversational Russian, this hands–on, friendly guide gets you speaking like a native. Here, you′ll find expanded coverage of the necessary grammar, major verb tenses, and conjugations that beginners need to know. Plus, you′ll get a fully updated audio CD that includes real–life conversations, a refreshed and expanded mini–dictionary, plenty of useful practice opportunities, and more.
- Russian 101 — learn to recite the alphabet, get a crash course on grammar, and start saying some basic Russian expressions
- It′s easy as odin, dva, tri (1, 2, 3) — hone your small–talk skills and discover how to communicate effectively in everyday situations, like asking for directions, ordering food, and more
- Happy trails — take your Russian on the road and discover how to plan a trip, make arrangements for a place to stay, discuss transportation, and exchange money for local currency
- Take care of business — grasp the essential Russian language skills you need to talk on the phone and perform everyday tasks at the office
Open the book and find:
- Common words and phrases in Cyrillic
- Basic grammar, Russian cases, and common expressions
- Formal and informal greetings Information on numbers, time, and measurements
- Pointers for describing everyday activities in Russian
- Tips for making small talk, asking for directions, and more
- Fun activities to help you practice your Russian skills
- Expanded Russian–English and English–Russian dictionaries
Audio CD Includes
More than 30 conversations that reinforce lessons from the book
See appendix for complete system requirements.
Go to Dummies.com for videos, step–by–step examples, how–to articles, or to shop!
- Speak conversational Russian with ease
- Make sense of grammar, verb conjugations, and pronunciations
- Identify Cyrillic letters CD includes real–life conversations by native speakers
Russian For Dummies with CD - About the Author
Andrew Kaufman, PhD, is a published scholar and an award–winning teacher of Russian language, literature, and culture at some of the country′s top universities. Serafima Gettys, PhD, is a Coordinator of the Foreign Language Program at Lewis University, where she also teaches Russian.