Nominated for the 2004 Best Foreign Film Oscar, the Dutch film TWIN SISTERS (DE TWEELING) is based on a European bestseller by Tessa de Loo.
The two sisters of the title, Anna and Lotte, are separated during their youth after the death of their parents in the 1920s. Sickly Lotte is taken by her wealthy relatives in Holland, while Anna is whisked away to the rural German farm of her uncle. They briefly reunite during the late 1930s, but the Second World War rips them apart once more, causing the destruction of almost everything either one cared for.
After being stuck on opposite sides of the conflict and losing nearly everything, is reconciliation even a possibility for the pair, despite the intimacy of their birth?
TWIN SISTERS combines the sweeping historical epic with an examination of daily lives in the period leading up to, and during, World War II.
- Actors: Ellen Vogel, Thekla Reuten, Nadja Uhl, Gudrun Okras
- Directors: Ben Sombogaart
- Format: PAL
- Language Dutch, German
- Subtitles: English
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 - 1.77:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Classification: 15
- Studio: Optimum Home Entertainment
- DVD Release Date: 15 Aug 2005
- Run Time: 131 minutes