Colloquial Swahili - The Complete Course for Beginners, 2nd Edition
By Lutz Marten, Donovan Lee Mcgrath
Updated for 2015 - now with audio download!
Colloquial Swahili: The Complete Course for Beginners has been carefully developed by an experienced teacher to provide a step-by-step course to Swahili as it is written and spoken today.
Combining a clear, practical and accessible style with a methodical and thorough treatment of the language, it equips learners with the essential skills needed to communicate confidently and effectively in Swahili in a broad range of situations. No prior knowledge of the language is required.
Colloquial Swahili is exceptional; each unit presents a wealth of grammatical points that are reinforced with a wide range of exercises for regular practice. A full answer key, a grammar summary, bilingual glossaries and English translations of dialogues can be found at the back as well as useful vocabulary lists throughout.
Key features include:
- progressive coverage of speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- structured, jargon-free explanations of grammar
- an extensive range of focused and stimulating exercises
- realistic and entertaining dialogues covering a broad variety of scenarios
- helpful cultural points explaining the customs and features of life in Swahili-speaking countries
- an overview of the sounds of Swahili
Balanced, comprehensive and rewarding, Colloquial Swahili is an indispensable resource both for independent learners and students taking courses in Swahili.
Audio material to accompany the course is available to download free in MP3 format here or from www.routledge.com/cw/colloquials. Recorded by native speakers, the audio material features the dialogues and texts from the book and will help develop your listening and pronunciation skills.