Complete Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) Beginner to Intermediate Course: Learn to read, write, speak and understand a new language with Teach Yourself by Christopher Byrnes and Tam Lye Suan with Eva Nyimas
400-page book (with 40 illustrations) and double CD.
Are you looking for a complete course in Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) which takes you effortlessly from beginner to confident speaker? Whether you are starting from scratch, or are just out of practice, Complete Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) will guarantee success!
Now fully updated to make your language learning experience fun and interactive. You can still rely on the benefits of a top language teacher and our years of teaching experience, but now with added learning features within the course and online. The course is structured in thematic units and the emphasis is placed on communication, so that you effortlessly progress from introducing yourself and dealing with everyday situations, to using the phone and talking about work.
By the end of this course, you will be at Level B2 of the Common European Framework for Languages: Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
Learn effortlessly with a new easy-to-read page design and interactive features:
NOT GOT MUCH TIME?
One, five and ten-minute introductions to key principles to get you started.
Lots of instant help with common problems and quick tips for success, based on the author's many years of experience.
Easy-to-follow building blocks to give you a clear understanding.
Easy to find and learn, to build a solid foundation for speaking.
Read and listen to everyday dialogues to help you speak and understand fast.
Don't sound like a tourist! Perfect your pronunciation before you go.
Tests in the book and online to keep track of your progress.
EXTEND YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Extra online articles at: www.teachyourself.com to give you a richer understanding of the culture and history of Malay (Bahasa Malaysia)sia.
- LIVELY, AUTHENTIC LANGUAGE - the words and phrases used by Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) speakers today
- GRAMMAR IS CLEARLY EXPLAINED - in simple English
- EXERCISES TO REINFORCE UNDERSTANDING - written, audio and pictorial exercises add variety and spice to your learning
- CULTURE SECTIONS - to give you the real flavour and excitement of a visit to Malay (Bahasa Malaysia)sia
- BEGINNERS TO INTERMEDIATES - equally suitable for beginners and those needing to brush up their knowledge
- LEARN THE LANGUAGE YOU NEED - for holidays (guides you through the airport, how to ask for tourist information, buying souvenirs), for business trips (jobs, invitations)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Introduction and pronunciation
- Welcome to Malay (Bahasa Malaysia)sia – greetings/introductions/origins
- At the airport – yes/no questions/possession
- Getting to know you – personal information/nationalities and languages/basic questions
- Working and studying – talking about jobs and studies/ capabilities
- Family and home – talking about family members/location/numbers
- Tourist information – Asking for information/existence and location/more numbers/telling the time/ days of the week Invitations – making, accepting and declining invitations/ reasons / months
- Asking the way – Asking for and understanding directions/location
- Changing money – Higher numbers/ expressing distance, height and weight
- Transport – buying tickets/ getting around/time expressions
- Checking in – Getting accommodation/asking about services/saying what you usually do
- Clothes/Souvenir shopping – Expressing size, colour, and what things are made of
- Eating out – How to order food from street vendors and in restaurants
- At the supermarket – Shopping for food/understanding a recipe
- Hobbies and free time – Expressing likes, dislikes/saying how long you have been doing something/ hobbies and sports
- At the doctor’s – Body words/ saying how you feel/ talking about illnesses
- A phone call – What to say on the phone/ talking about the weather/ a look at very informal
- Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) and slang
- Taking it further
Complete Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) Book/CD Pack: Teach Yourself - About the Author(s):
Christopher Byrnesis a qualified languages teacher who has taught all over the world. Tam Lye Suan is a native Malay (Bahasa Malaysia) speaker and professional translator. Eva Nyimas is a language teacher with particular expertise in the adult learning sector.