Complete Welsh Beginner to Intermediate Course: Learn to read, write, speak and understand a new language with Teach Yourself by Julie Brake, Christine Jones
336-page book (with 40 illustrations) and double CD.
Are you looking for a complete course in Welsh which takes you effortlessly from beginner to confident speaker? Whether you are starting from scratch, or are just out of practice, Complete Welsh will guarantee success!
Now fully updated to make your language learning experience fun and interactive. You can still rely on the benefits of a top language teacher and our years of teaching experience, but now with added learning features within the course and online. The course is structured in thematic units and the emphasis is placed on communication, so that you effortlessly progress from introducing yourself and dealing with everyday situations, to using the phone and talking about work.
By the end of this course, you will be at Level B2 of the Common European Framework for Languages: Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
Learn effortlessly with a new easy-to-read page design and interactive features:
NOT GOT MUCH TIME?
One, five and ten-minute introductions to key principles to get you started.
Lots of instant help with common problems and quick tips for success, based on the author's many years of experience.
Easy-to-follow building blocks to give you a clear understanding.
Easy to find and learn, to build a solid foundation for speaking.
Read and listen to everyday dialogues to help you speak and understand fast.
Don't sound like a tourist! Perfect your pronunciation before you go.
Tests in the book and online to keep track of your progress.
EXTEND YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Extra online articles at: www.teachyourself.com to give you a richer understanding of the culture and history of Wales.
- Official course - Teach Yourself Welsh is the official coursebook for the distance learning course of the University of Wales.
- Website - additional practice material is available on the accompanying website.
- Practical - the material is current and relevant to people living in Wales and needing the language for work or social reasons, as well as those learning Welsh for their own interest.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Alphabet and pronunciation guide
- Map of Wales
- Mutation chart
- More about yourself
- Talking about your family
- Talking about your likes and dislikes
- Extending and accepting an invitation
- May I help you?
- Asking for directions
- What did you do?
- There is something wrong with my car
- I don't feel well
- How were your holidays?
- Where were you born?
- When is your birthday?
- Arranging your holiday
- She'll go instead of you tomorrow
- In the restaurant
- Describing your house and area
- What would you do?
- What time is the next train?
- Because I'm cold
- You wanted to come
- Appendix 1: regional variations
- Appendix 2: how to say 'yes' and 'no' in Welsh
- Key to the exercises
- Welsh-English vocabulary
- English-Welsh vocabulary
Complete Welsh Book/CD Pack: Teach Yourself - About the Author(s):
Dr Christine Jones is Head of the School of Welsh and Bilingual Studies at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David. Julie Brake is a senior lecturer in Welsh at Glyndwr University, Wrexham.