Mastering Japanese Kanji - Volume 1: The Innovative Visual Method for Learning Japanese Characters (CD-ROM Included)
By Glen Nolan Grant
Paperback, 256 pages. More than 200 illustrations teaching 200 characters; CD-ROM includes stroke-order and pronunciations
This is a comprehensive, self-study workbook for learning Japanese characters.
Mastering Japanese Kanji can help you greatly reduce the time and effort involved in learning to read and write Japanese. It does so by introducing a method that is both effective and easy to use in memorising the meanings and pronunciations of Kanji—the array of characters that are used in the Japanese language to symbolise everything from abstract ideas to concrete nouns.
Learning any of the kanji is a two step process, requiring that you remember both the visual aspect of a character (so you can recognise it when you see it) and the aural aspect (so you will know how to say and, thus, read it). The method employed by Mastering Japanese Kanji will show you how to tackle both of these aspects from the outset, and by so doing enable you to immediately get down to the practical (and fun!) business of recognising and reading kanji on everything from street signs to newspapers. By the time you finish this book, in fact, you will be able to boast of a Japanese vocabulary numbering in the thousands of words.
- Corresponding CD-ROM helps to reinforce the written material.
- Teaches the 200 most common kanji and the hundreds of compounds that use them.
- Unique, specially-designed drawings and entertaining stories help you learn more quickly.
- Sample sentences, along with common words and compounds, expand your vocabulary by showing each kanji used in context.
- Stroke-order diagrams show the correct way to write each chapter.
- Chapter and cumulative review exercises help ensure master of what you've learned.
- Complete indexes show Japanese readings and English meanings for all Kanji.
Contents of the CD-ROM:
- Stroke order animations for all 200 kanji characters.
- Native speaker audio recordings of all:
- Kanji characters.
- Common words and compounds.
- Sample sentences.
Mastering Japanese Kanji - Volume 1 - About the Author
Glen Nolan Grant is an acclaimed translator of Japanese. He has travelled extensively, visiting over 60 countries and learning to speak six languages. He became attracted to the Japanese writing system while living in Japan, and after hearing that many consider Japanese to be the most difficult written language in the world, he took on the challenge of finding a way to make learning it easier.