This new volume of nine short stories offers students of Italian at all levels the opportunity to enjoy a wide range of contemporary literature in the original, with the aid of parallel translations.
The slection covers a rich variety of themes and styles, and includes stories by established literary figures such as Italo Calvino and Primo Levi as well as the new generation of writers. Aspects of Sicilian and Italian life are explored by Leonardo Sciascia and Goffredo Parise, Dacia Maraini tackles the controversial subject of abortion and Antonio Tabucchi looks at the nature of reality.
Complete with notes, the stories make excellent reading in either language.
- The Long Crossing Leonardo Sciascia (1921-89) Translated by Avril Bardoni
- Italy Goffredo Parise (1929-86) Translated by Nick Roberts
- The Girl with the Plait Dacia Maraini (1936- ) Translated by Sharon Wood
- The Last Channel Italo Calvino (1923-87) Translated by Tim Parks
- Lilith Primo Levi (1919-87) Translated by Ruth Feldman
- The Island of Komodo Susanna Tamaro (1957- ) Translated by Charles Caroe and Chris Roberts
- Women by the Pool Sandra Petrignani (1952- ) Translated by Sharon Wood
- A Naughty Schoolboy Stefano Benni (1947- ) Translated by Nick Roberts
- Saturday Afternoons Antonio Tabucchi (1943- ) Translated by Edward Williams
- Notes on Italian texts
Third book in the Italian Penguin Parallel Text series