Practice Makes Perfect: English Pronouns and Prepositions, Second Edition by Ed Swick
This new addition to the successful Practice Makes Perfect series, Practice Makes Perfect: English Pronouns and Prepositions, Second Edition offers a detailed examination of these two essential aspects of English grammar, which ESL students need to master to communicate with confidence.
Learners of English often have difficulty with these areas because the usage of pronouns or prepositions rarely translates directly from their native languages to English.
This book provides clear explanations of the usage of pronouns and prepositions, followed by practical examples illustrating and clarifying each point. Where appropriate, exceptions to the rule are highlighted and boxed summaries of key grammar points are given. Extensive exercises provide ample opportunity to practice. These exercises will be in a variety of formats, including fill-in-the-blank sentences or passages, translations, multiple choice, re-writing sentences, and creative writing exercises.
Answers to all questions are provided in the back of the book, providing immediate feedback. Certain exercises, devoted to areas that often cause difficulty to learners, have “running commentary” answers that don’t just provide the answer but also explain the thinking process behind them. The appendix contains a list of commonly used prepositions. This is a particularly important resource for compound prepositions (because of, on account of, etc.), because they are often the source of confusion for ESL learners.
Practice Makes Perfect: English Pronouns and Prepositions - Summary The only way to build your skills in a second language is to practice, practice, practice. Following the successful Practice Makes Perfect approach, this book gives you clear explanations and all the tools you need to learn English pronouns and prepositions. A valuable resource for beginning- to intermediate-level ESL learners, Practice Makes Perfect: English Pronouns and Prepositions, Second Edition features:
- In-depth coverage of English pronoun and preposition usage
- Clear explanations that make even the most complex concepts easy to understand
- Dozens of skill-building exercises
- An answer key for ready reference and quick feedback
- A comprehensive list of commonly used prepositions, including confusing compound prepositions With the help of many realistic examples taken from everyday life, this book takes the mystery out of English pronouns and prepositions. It provides a variety of practical exercises to help you practice what you've learned.
Topics covered include:
- Pronouns as subjects, direct objects, and indirect objects
- Pronouns in a prepositional phrase
- Possessive, demonstrative, indefinite, and interrogative pronouns
- Relative, reflexive, and reciprocal pronouns
- Prepositions that indicate location, movement, direction, or time
- Compound prepositions and prepositions that combine with other words
- Participial and postpositive prepositions
- Words that require a specific preposition
- Prepositions and phrasal verbs
Practice Makes Perfect: English Pronouns and Prepositions, Second Edition - About the Author
Ed Swickhas taught ESL for thirty years. He is the author of several books on the subject.