The Routledge Intermediate Chinese Reader by Helen Shen, Zhou Yunong, Xiaoyuan Zhao
The Routledge Intermediate Chinese Reader is a comprehensive reader designed to provide varied, stimulating and up-to-date reading material for learners of Chinese at the intermediate level.
The Chinese Reader provides a bridge between basic literacy skills and the ability to read full novels and newspapers in Chinese. It consists of forty readings, graded on the basis of complexity of vocabulary, grammar and syntax. These readings present a range of different text types representative of modern Chinese popular writing which will inspire students to continue reading independently in Chinese.
It is ideal for learners who already possess a knowledge of essential grammar and vocabulary and who wish to expand their knowledge of the language through contextualized reading material.
Key features include:
- Extracts from newspaper and internet articles
- Vocabulary annotation next to the reading paragraphs for quick reference
- Short grammar explanations of any complicated structures
- Comprehension and discussion questions
- Notes on culture and idioms
- Lesson structure maps to aid comprehension
- A companion website containing lesson audio and electronic vocabulary flash cards
- Full glossary at the back and answer key for reading questions
Suitable for both class use and independent study, The Routledge Intermediate Chinese Readeris an essential tool for facilitating vocabulary learning and increasing reading proficiency.
The Routledge Intermediate Chinese Reader - About the Authors
Helen H. Shen is an Associate Professor of Chinese at the University of Iowa, USA
Yunong Zhou is a Lecturer in Chinese at the University of Pennsylvania, USA
Xiaoyuan Zhao is a Lecturer in Chinese at the University of Iowa, USA