Exploring the Spanish Language, An introduction to its structures and varieties, 2nd Edition by Christopher J. Pountain
Exploring the Spanish Language is a practical introduction to the structures and varieties of Spanish.
Written specifically with English-speaking learners of Spanish in mind, readers will find a good deal of practical help in developing skills such as pronunciation and the appropriate use of register. No previous knowledge of linguistics is assumed and a glossary of technical terms, in conjunction with exercises and activities, helps to reinforce key points.
Features of this new edition include:
- updated samples that introduce the varieties of modern Spanish, its main registers and styles
- a greater percentage of samples from Latin America
- systematic treatment of the traditional parts of speech, discourse markers, fillers and exclamations
- updated sections on word order and social media to reflect recent research
- discussion questions and suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter, making it an ideal foundation for further study
Using Spanish data to introduce basic concepts of modern linguistics, Exploring the Spanish Language is the ideal textbook for undergraduate students of Spanish who have no prior linguistic background.
Exploring the Spanish Language, An introduction to its structures and varieties, 2nd Edition - About the Author
Christopher J. Pountain is Emeritus Professor of Spanish Linguistics at Queen Mary, University of London, UK.