This new volume of eight short stories offers intermediate German students the opportunity to enjoy a wide range of contemporary literature in the original, with the aid of parallel translations.
The majority of these stories have been written in the past decade, and reflect a rich diversity of styles and themes. Complete with notes, the stories make excellent reading in either language.
- The Listener, or a Description of a Route with a Hidden Motive Siegfried Lenz (b. 1926)
- Waiting for the Guests Dieter Wellershoff (b. 1925)
- Eating Mussels (Excerpt) Birgit Vanderbeke (b. 1956)
- The Good Old Days Gabriele Wohmann (b. 1932)
- Lascia Judith Hermann (b. 1970)
- Chicago/Shanty Town Georg Klein (b. 1953)
- Grandfather and the Decision-makers Christoph Hein (b. 1944)
- The Suspect Jurek Becker (b. 1937)
- Notes on German Text
Third book in the German Penguin Parallel Text series