Excellent reading in either Spanish or English, the eight short stories in this collection by authors including Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel Garcia Márquez and Camilo José Cela have been chosen for their readability and literary merit. Seven are from Spanish America, only one from Spain, an unsurprising ratio considering there are no less than nineteen Spanish-speaking countries in the Americas, and that the short story is an extremely popular form among authors there. This selection also, therefore, gives the reader an insight into the differences between the literary cultures.
Printed approximately in order of difficulty, the stories are accompanied by parallel English translations and notes on the text.
- EMMA ZUNZ Jorge Luis Borges (1899–1986) translated by Donald A. Yates
- THE BUDGET Mario Benedetti (1920– ) translated by Gerald Brown
- THE CAVALRY COLONEL H.A. Murena (1923– ) translated by Gordon Brotherston
- ISABEL'S SOLILOQUY: WATCHING THE RAIN IN MACONDO Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1928– ) translated by Richard Southern
- WELCOME, BOB Juan Carlos Onetti (1909– ) translated by Donald L. Shaw
- THE ROMERIA Camilo Jose Cela (1916– ) translated by Gordon Brotherston
- THE PIGEON Carlos Martinez Moreno (1917– ) translated by Giovanni Pontiero
- TALPA Juan Rulfo (1918–86) translated by J.A. Chapman
- Notes on Spanish Texts
First book in the Spanish Penguin Parallel Text series