Dutch Translation in Practice
By Jane Fenoulhet and Alison Martin
Dutch Translation in Practice provides an accessible and engaging course in modern Dutch translation. Taking a highly practical approach, it introduces students to the essential concepts of translation studies, heightens their awareness of the problems posed in Dutch translation, and teaches them how to tackle these difficulties successfully. Featured texts have been carefully chosen for their thematic and technical relevance, and a wide range of discursive and grammatical issues are covered throughout.
- Nine chapters reflecting different areas of contemporary life and culture in Belgium and the Netherlands such as People and Places, Dutch Language and Culture, Literature, Employment, Finance and Economics, Media and Communications, Art History and Exhibitions, Fashion and Design and the Earth, Energy and the Environment
- Authentic extracts drawn from up-to-date Dutch texts used throughout to illustrate and practise various topical and translation issues, with many supporting exercises and open translation activities to encourage active engagement with the material, the development of strong translation skills, and vocabulary acquisition
- Chapters structured to provide progressive learning, moving from an introductory section explaining the context for the texts to be translated to information on translation techniques, detailed close readings and analyses of words, phrases, style, register and tone
- A strong focus throughout on addressing issues relevant to contemporary Dutch translation, with practical tips offered for translating websites, dealing with names and handling statistics and numbers in translation
- Attention to language areas of particular difficulty, including translating ‘er’, passive constructions, punctuation, conjunctions and separable verbs
- Helpful list of grammatical terms, information on useful resources for translators and sample translations of texts available at the back of the book
Written by experienced instructors and extensively trialled at University College London, Dutch Translation in Practice will be an essential resource for students on upper-level undergraduate, postgraduate or professional courses in Dutch and Translation Studies.