Fundamentals of Arabic Grammar by Mohammed Sawaie
Fundamentals of Arabic Grammar provides an authoritative guide to Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) grammar. It has been organised to promote a thorough understanding of MSA grammar and presents its complexities in a cohesive and user-friendly format, filling many gaps left by other textbooks. Explanations are clear, full and accessible and extensive cross-referencing, two generous indices and six appendices provide users with easy access to the information they require. No prior knowledge of linguistic terminology is required.
- Expert treatment of a full range of grammar topics and structures, including the case system, Idhaafa, the equational sentence, quantifiers and the vocative, generously spread across thirty eight chapters
- Special attention to parts of speech, such as nouns, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs and propositions, given at the beginning of the book to acquaint students with the basic units of Arabic and provide a solid foundation for further learning
- A wide range of contemporary examples drawn from real life to provide solid context to grammar points, further supported by word glosses and idiomatic translations of sentences
- Grammatical terms given in both Arabic and English
- A wide variety of supplementary learning resources such as practice sheets, exercises and verb tables available for free download at http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415710046/
- Substantial bibliography incorporating primary Arabic grammar sources in addition to secondary sources in Arabic and in English
Fundamentals of Arabic Grammar has been field tested over a number of years and has been written by a highly experienced teacher of Arabic. It will be an essential resource for students and teachers of Arabic at all university levels and is suitable for use both as a companion reference text in Arabic language courses and as a standalone text in independent grammar classes.
Fundamentals of Arabic Grammar by Mohammed Sawaie - Review
"This is a well thought out, well laid out, and well executed comprehensive grammar of Modern Standard Arabic…a polished pedagogical reference tool. The fluidity of writing, the breadth of coverage and the accessibility and clarity of presentation are impressive; Sawaie shows a keen familiarity with student needs, a talent for explaining Arabic grammatical concepts in English and an encyclopaedic knowledge of modern Arabic grammar. It is appropriate for all levels, providing a clear explanation of grammatical concepts accessible enough for beginning students but sophisticated enough for students at the advanced levels." David Wilmsen, American University of Beirut
"An excellent grammar reference for both teachers and learners of Arabic. The material is clearly presented with strong explanations, yet elegantly concise. This is a much needed book." Zeinab A. Taha, The American University in Cairo, Egypt
"This is a welcome resource. Professor Sawaie offers accessible explanations of Arabic grammar clearly resultant of his years of classroom teaching...the Arabic examples are so well selected that they can be used in teaching classes of any skill level. The ample charts throughout the book, as well as its appendices, add a comprehensive quality to the book, by which a learner can expand their knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic. This book accomplishes something unique, by presenting the essential elements of Modern Standard Arabic both lucidly, and in its totality." Benjamin L Smith, Swarthmore College, USA
Fundamentals of Arabic Grammar by Mohammed Sawaie - About the Author
Mohammed Sawaie is Professor of Arabic in the Department of Middle Eastern and South Asian Languages and Cultures at the University of Virginia, USA.