Caesar’s De Bello Gallico - A Syntactically Parsed Reader - Jean-François Mondon
Caesar’s De Bello Gallico: A Syntactically Parsed Reader is an innovative Latin reader presenting selections of Caesar’s Gallic wars texts. Its unique approach tackles the two most common problems a student reading unedited Latin faces: abundant vocabulary and a maze-like sentence structure. Breaking down the sentence structure of the texts and providing vocabulary glosses throughout, A Syntactically Parsed Reader ensures better comprehension and enables students to make an easier transition from using artificial and doctored Latin to working with the unaltered language found in authentic texts.
- Texts presented with the syntactically parsed Latin on one page and vocabulary glosses on the other
- Visual display of the syntactic structure of each Latin sentence throughout, with main clauses touching the left margin, subordinate clauses shown indented, and multiple subordinate clauses arranged to illustrate which clauses are dependent on which other clauses
- Helpful grammar notes provided alongside the texts
- High frequency vocabulary included in a separate appendix to encourage efficient vocabulary acquisition
- Selected texts carefully chosen in line with the Advanced Placement Latin exam.
Caesar’s De Bello Gallico: A Syntactically Parsed Reader has been developed by an experienced university instructor. It is ideal for students seeking to improve their ability to read and understand Latin prose straight from the page.