These eight stories by leading 20th century French writers offer fascinating insights into French life and literature and are accompanied by a parallel English text, making them valuable for both French and English language students.
Among the diverse and entertaining stories in the collection are the wistful masterpiece ‘Green Tobacco’ by Clair Sainte-Soline; the exuberant tale of ‘The Ants’ by the post-war king of café society, Boris Vian, and a suspense in the nineteenth-century erotic tradition from Andre de Mandiargues.
- GREEN TOBACCO Clairs Sainte-Soline, translated by Peter Newmark
- THE ANTS Boris Vian, translated by Rawdon Corbett
- THE DEAD MAN'S RETURN C.-F. Ramuz, translated by Vivienne Menkes
- A HOUSE IN THE PLACE DES FETES Roger Grenier, translated by Monica Lee
- JIMMY Francoise Mallet-Joris, translated by Diana Saville
- THE UNKNOWN SAINT Blaise Cendrans, translated by Dudley Treharne
- SABINE Andre Pibyre de Mandiargurs, translated by Simon Lee
- TRAFFIC IN HORSES Jacques Parret, translated by David Constantine
- Notes on Authors
- Notes on French Texts
Second book in the Penguin French Parallel Text series.